F o o d   F o r   L i f e

Sunday, January 14, 2007

My New Kitchen Gadget: The Blowtorch

The blowtorch. Every kitchen needs one. You can use it to make creme brulee, melt cheese really really quickly... make creme brulee...

The torch came in a set with four little ramekins, so of course I had to make use of them and make creme brulee.

The recipe I used required caster sugar for the crispy top but because we only had white sugar and brown sugar, I did a little experimenting.

So apparently, brown sugar burns quite easily and can actually set alight - oops!

White sugar was much better but took a little while longer to melt and caramelise.

I guess the recipe uses caster sugar for a reason... The creme brulee didn't turn out too bad but the texture wasn't very smooth. Hmm... I guess I just need more practice!

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • OMD!!! Why didn't you invite me over for some creme brulee??? GRRRRR... It looks delicious. Good work

    By Blogger Food For Life, at 10:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home